YOU ALL COULD USE A LITTLE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM...

Monday, November 23, 2009

Banking: Fashions Alter Ego





New York is monopolized by two industries: fashion and banking. The rest of the world falls somewhere in between. The two industries are separate but equal, and frequently overlap in divorce court, the hottest restaurants, and most exclusive events . We work the hardest and play the hardest... 3 years ago, my best friend Lauren and I moved to NY, she accepted an offer from Citigroup, i signed up for slavery at Louis Vuitton. Our lives couldn't be more different. She's Barron's and the Economist... I'm Vogue and WWD. She lives with her boyfriend in the financial district, I live with my shoes in Bed Stuy Brooklyn. She's on her way to work, while I stumble in from my work related partying. My idea of appropriate work attire, she calls crazy. I'm what she might see if she looked in a fun house mirror. Whenever we have plans she calls to make sure I'm not wearing anything "crazy,"I'm known by her peers as her "artsy" friend. Ive come to accept her de rigeur kitten heels and oxford shirt. At a recent sample sale I went ape shit over a pair of camouflage Dior boots, she purchased a Marc Jacobs trench. While she's taught me enough banker lingo to make it through a six month relationship, Ive turned her into quite the fashionista. After work she trades her J. Crew- Ferragamo combo for Herve Leger and Christian Louboutin. She'd be just as welcomed on a runway as the trading floor. Her work bag is YSL! We've worked out a mutually beneficial arrangement. She trades expensive dinners for my personal shopping services...She may make the dough, but I have all the designer discounts!

2 comments: